Montag, 16. Juni 2014

Elder Flower Syrup and Lemon Balm Syrup





 a few weeks was the elderberry full in bloom, so i picked a few blossoms
and  have  made a syrup for the winter.

For the elderflower-blossom syrup you will need:

20 elderflower ( nice big heads) gently shake of any insects and trim
any excess branches/leaves
4 lemons,scliced
1,5kilogramm sugar
1,8 liters water
60 gr citric acid

Bring the sugar and water to boil,stirring occasionally to dissolve.
Once cooled,pour the sugar-water and all the other ingredients
into a big bowl and cover, let it stand for 36-48 hours,
stirring occasionally.
Then remove elderflowers and lemons,strain the water a few time

(if you have a cheese cloth it will help)
Pour the syrup into a pot and cook for 3-5 minutes.
Then pour the liquid into clean sterilized glass bottles.
Close them.
To serve pour 3 tablespoon of syrup into a glass and add water,selters or champagne.




Lemon Balm Syrup

you will need:

many lemon balm leaves( four handfull or more)
1,5Kilograamm sugar
2 liters water
40 gr citric acid

follow the instruction from the Elderflower-Syrup.

Also can you make a vinegar with lemon balm

fill a jar about 3/4 full with fresh leaves.
Cover with apple cider vinegar.Cup with a non-metallic lid
and let steep in a cool dark place for a few weeks.
Strain and use as a hair wash or add to your bath water.
You can also use this in food dishes and salad dressing
instead of plain vinegar

or

Lemon Balm Pesto

For the Lemon Balm Pesto you will need:

2 cups fresh lemon balm,
1/2 cup extra - virgin olive oil
3-4 gloves garlic

Blend all ingredients together in a food processor until chunky not to
well blended.
I use it for broiled or grilled fish or chicken or as traditional pesto
over noodles.It taste really good!!

The leaves of lemon balm can you use as lemon peel.

With the stems of lemon balm can you make a tea.
cut the stalk small,fill they in a tea cup,pour hot water over it.
or
Kitchen Spice for Asian rice

Cut the stems finely and grind them.
Voila done is a wonderful Kitche spice for Asian rice.

What do you do with Lemon Balm?










Kommentare:

  1. I don't use Lemon Balm except for tea occasionally, but the vinegar sounds nice. Will give that a try. I've only used the elderberries for making a syrup for colds and winter aliments. Sounds like the syrup would be healthy in a drink as well! Thanks for the recipes.
    Enjoy your week,
    Anne♥

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Hi Regina,
    Those sound like wonderful uses for elderberry and lemon balm. I'm going to start using my lemon balm more. Mostly, I just use it for tea. I'll try it in some Asian dishes, as you suggested.
    Thank you! Have a lovely day!

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. The elderflower syrup looks amazing. This year I'm trying out elderflower jelly for the first time!

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. The recipes sound lovely. I keep meaning to make elder blossom syrup - so may be this year I will as I keep seeing lots in the hedge rows on my walks. The lemon balm vinegar sounds nice too. Thanks for the inspiration.

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. Elderflower cordial is so lovely, and how great that you made your own! xx

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. Oh, thank you for sharing your recipes! I have a ton of lemon balm and was looking for new ways to use it! :) ~Lisa

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. I love your recipes for Lemon balm. I have a large plant in my garden and have never used it except for an occasional cup of tea. I didn't realise you could do so much with it.

    AntwortenLöschen
  8. Mmmhhhh that sounds sooooo yummy!

    AntwortenLöschen
  9. The elderflower bush at the end of the garden is in bloom at the moment. I hope to make some this weekend it is one of my favourite syrups. Thank your for reminding me to make some. I've never tried lemon balm syrup before and we have some of that growing too. It looks like I'm going to be busy.
    Thanks for sharing,
    debx

    AntwortenLöschen
  10. I made my first ever elderflower cordial last week, sooo tasty :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  11. Regina, it all looks and sounds delightful. I remember these bushes at my grandparents home many years ago, but I don't think she ever made anything out of them. I wish she had..Happy Summer..Judy

    AntwortenLöschen
  12. Regina, that looks so great. Hope you're doing ok !!
    Have a wonderful day.

    AntwortenLöschen
  13. Oh, it looks gorgeous! I've always wanted to try making elderflower syrup :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  14. Your blog is inspirational. I will be looking forwrad to all your blog post. I really appreciate your sharing of recipe on how you use lemon balm. This herb grows well in our garden but we use them for brewing tea only...now I've learned a bit more from you:) Thank you:)

    AntwortenLöschen